Valsartan molecule structure. Drugs containing valsartan are used to treat patients with high blood pressure to help prevent heart attacks and stroke. (iStock)

Health Canada has issued a recall advisory of a commonly used medication to treat high blood pressure because of fears an impurity found in the drugs may cause cancer with long-term exposure.

The recall affects several drugs containing the ingredient valsartan, Health Canada announced Tuesday.

An impurity, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), was found in the valsartan used in these products, the federal agency said.

The valsartan was supplied by Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceuticals. NDMA is a potential human carcinogen, which means that it could cause cancer with long-term exposure.

Health Canada says patients taking the drug should check with their pharmacists to learn if their medicine is being recalled.

But the agency also said that anyone taking medication that contains valsartan should continue to take it unless told to stop by their doctor or pharmacist.

The recall affects five companies:

Affected products

SIVEM PHARMACEUTICAL ULC VALSARTAN 40 MG 02384523 40 mg All lots
SIVEM PHARMACEUTICAL ULC VALSARTAN 80 MG 02384531 80 mg All lots
SIVEM PHARMACEUTICAL ULC VALSARTAN 160 MG 02384558 160 mg All lots
SIVEM PHARMACEUTICAL ULC VALSARTAN 320 MG 02384566 320 mg All lots
Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Health

Do you want to report an error or a typo? Click here!

@*@ Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

characters available

Note: By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that Radio Canada International has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Radio Canada International does not endorse any of the views posted. Your comments will be pre-moderated and published if they meet netiquette guidelines.

Netiquette »

When you express your personal opinion in an online forum, you must be as courteous as if you were speaking with someone face-to-face. Insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. To disagree with an opinion, an idea or an event is one thing, but to show disrespect for other people is quite another. Great minds don’t always think alike—and that’s precisely what makes online dialogue so interesting and valuable.

Netiquette is the set of rules of conduct governing how you should behave when communicating via the Internet. Before you post a message to a blog or forum, it’s important to read and understand these rules. Otherwise, you may be banned from posting.

1. RCInet.ca’s online forums are not anonymous. Users must register, and give their full name and place of residence, which are displayed alongside each of their comments. RCInet.ca reserves the right not to publish comments if there is any doubt as to the identity of their author.
  2. Assuming the identity of another person with intent to mislead or cause harm is a serious infraction that may result in the offender being banned.
  3. RCInet.ca’s online forums are open to everyone, without regard to age, ethnic origin, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
  4. Comments that are defamatory, hateful, racist, xenophobic, sexist, or that disparage an ethnic origin, religious affiliation or age group will not be published.
  5. In online speak, writing in ALL CAPS is considered yelling, and may be interpreted as aggressive behaviour, which is unpleasant for the people reading. Any message containing one or more words in all caps (except for initialisms and acronyms) will be rejected, as will any message containing one or more words in bold, italic or underlined characters.
  6. Use of vulgar, obscene or objectionable language is prohibited. Forums are public places and your comments could offend some users. People who use inappropriate language will be banned.
  7. Mutual respect is essential among users. Insulting, threatening or harassing another user is prohibited. You can express your disagreement with an idea without attacking anyone.
  8. Exchanging arguments and opposing views is a key component of healthy debate, but it should not turn into a dialogue or private discussion between two users who address each other without regard for the other participants. Messages of this type will not be posted.
  9. Radio Canada International publishes contents in five languages. The language used in the forums has to be the same as the contents we publish. The usage of other languages, with the exception of some words, is forbidden. Messages that are off-topic will not be published.
  10. Making repetitive posts disrupts the flow of discussions and will not be tolerated.
  11. Adding images or any other type of file to comments is forbidden. Including hyperlinks to other websites is allowed, as long as they comply with netiquette. Radio Canada International  is in no way responsible for the content of such sites, however.
  12. Copying and pasting text written by someone else, even if you credit the author, is unacceptable if that text makes up the majority of your comment.
  13. Posting any type of advertising or call to action, in any form, to Radio Canada International  forums is prohibited.
  14. All comments and other types of content are moderated before publication. Radio Canada International  reserves the right to refuse any comment for publication.
  15. Radio Canada International  reserves the right to close a forum at any time, without notice.
  16. Radio Canada International  reserves the right to amend this code of conduct (netiquette) at any time, without notice.
  17. By participating in its online forums, you allow Radio Canada International to publish your comments on the web for an indefinite time. This also implies that these messages will be indexed by Internet search engines.
  18. Radio Canada International has no obligation to remove your messages from the web if one day you request it. We invite you to carefully consider your comments and the consequences of their posting.

33 comments on “Health Canada recalls high blood pressure drugs containing valsartan due to cancer risk
  1. Todd says:

Iam very worried cause I been on it for a year now count my in on the lawsuit I got all the symtoms they described

2. This is a repost that I forgot to mention that my Pharmacy called and stated that I need to get rid of Valsartan because it could possibly cause cancer. I have been taking this med for almost 20 yrs and have had multiple diagnosis that could have possibly been caused by this medicine. I was informed to stop taking the medicine but what is being done for replacement and at what cost to my health.

3. Could you tell me what kind of cancer you can get, already health problem.

4. Clifford Melnychuk says:

I have been taking Sandos Valsartan 80mg for years. Go to take back 90 unused pills but won’t take back. Insurance won’t cover the new pills perscribed because I didn’t get credit for other ones. When have you heard of a recall not getting your money back or replaced with good ones. If there is a law suit count me in as this is unbelievable that they can get away this.

5. Pamela mckenzie says:

I have been on it 13 yrs. and now they tell me I have a fatty liver and I don,t drink alcohol or smoke

6. Jean Miller says:

22 years ago I came down with breast Cancer I have been on the drug Sandoz-Valsartan 160 MG for many many years for my blood pressure What affect is it going to take on cancer?

7. Francisco Sorolla says:

I have been the taking Sandoz Valsartan BLTS 80 mg for years, first was 40 mg and lately 80 mg.
    If the class-action goes on I wish to me in it, I can supply any information: paper and years That I have been taken the medecine.

8. David e Lillie jr says:

If it’s a law suit put my name one it I have been taking it for years

9. Suzanne J Laforce says:

While living in the USA I had been perscribed DIOVAN,,, for HBP… which was diagnosed after going to ER for Bronchitis…. anyway,,, after all these years my BP has been normal, with the ups and downs of the WHITE COAT syndrome…… Moved back to Quebec, where they gave me generic VALSARTAN…

Now is this a wake up call or what…. over the years I have had, numbness from knee to hip, and tingling feeling where docs said it was sciatic.. hmm!! then thought i had restless leg syndrome which to turned to be DEEP VEIN TROMBOSIS… HAS all this been caused by taking the BP pills, Diovan and Valsartan….. ? PLEASE I would like to know what we can do about this… Put me on the class action lawsuit,,, I will have all the necessary documents if needed…. and another thing,,, WHY has my PHARMACIST called me three times to tell me THERE IS NO NEED to BRING my PILLS back,,, keeping taking them… WHAT?????? will replace with something else… I AM LOST here!! H E L P

10. Curtis V Pierce says:

I have taken Valsartan/hctz for years. A big concern as already have had Prostate cancer.
    Is there a law suit on this, if so i want to be added to it.
    Is there a refund on this drug, just had a 3 month refill before i was told it had a recall. Took the prescription back to the drug store but they said they were not allowed to take prescriptions back due to a law.
    Normally when there is a recall on something you get your money back, how about this??
    Where can i see the replies on my questions? also replies on the other questions asked.

11. Rina iacovodonato pistilli says:

I’ve been taking the 320mg for some years.. please sign me up for the lawsuit

12. Gordon Schweizer says:

Ok, this is news that I did not need from my Pharmacist. I have been taking Valsartan for a number of years now under different brand names, what is considered ” long term exposure ” ??? IF there is class action law suite being filed PLEASE sign me up !!!!!!!!!!

13. Jody willock says:

Is there a class action lawsuit in Saskatchewan ?
    I would like to know and sign up

14. Cathy Hoekstra says:

Keep me posted cancer is high in our family and did not need this…

15. David says:

Someone has a lot of explaining to do!!!!!! Sign me up for the law suit when it happens!

16. Sylvia Barr says:

How long is “long term exposure” and what type of cancer would this drug produce. I have been taking Sandovalsartaan for quite a few years. I am now taking Telmisartan, where is this drug manufactured and are the ingredients liable to include cancerous ingredients. The questions asked by others are pertinent and I would like to know the answers also. Where do I find the replies

17. Kathleen says:

I am taking Entresto/Valsartan for CHF. It is not on the list as presented so far but who knows if it will also be added at some point? I would like to see all drugs made in Canada use only ingredients from this country as it seems to be extremely difficult to trust any ingredients from foreign countries who don’t care or realize that some are hazardous.
    A question…what is the difference between all of the names for Valsartan? Are they made with different ingredients or by different pharmaceutical companies? Why is it not just called Valsartan and if it’s generic then why not specify that fact? I realize that the drug business is big money but the well-being of the consumer shouldn’t be put at risk when these drugs are supposed to be saving lives.

18. Margaret Gain says:

I was contacted by my Physician’s office and told my Doctor was ordering a new BP medication due to the fact Valsartan which I am currently on was being recalled. When I went to the pharmacy to pick up my new medication and return the old I was told the dosage I was on was not recalled. Who to believe. And is it only certain batches that are supposed to be contaminated? When I looked this up online it says that the USA knew there was a problem 3 years ago but the public didn’t need to be notified. So, it this new or not? What testing does Canada do on our medications? How can we trust that the medications we are being prescribed are actually helping and not an actual health hazard?

19. Andrea Gibbons says:

Should you get a refund for the medication that you take back because of the recall

20. Terra cole says:

So is anyone planning a class action law-suite?? My husband takes this too

21. Leah Yanto says:

I have been taking this medication for a number of years. How is the chance of having cancer? Why are we buying drugs from China? Are their any health standards equivalent to Canadian standards? Will I be tested for any types of cancer due to having taken Valsarton for a number of years? Who will contact me with explanations addressing my concerns?

22. Terry Mooney says:

NDMA has been known to be present in most Canadian domestic water systems. In 2011, Health Canada established a drinking water guideline at a maximum acceptable concentration (MAC) of 0.04 μg/L (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/water-eau/sum_guide-res_recom/index-eng.php#t2), based on an assessment by the Federal-Provincial-Territorial Committee on Drinking Water (CDW). As a result, regulators may require communities and other water supply owners to monitor NDMA concentrations in water treatment and distribution systems.

23. Yvonne harding says:

My mom has been taking Valsartan for years and is now in the hospital because she had bladder cancer. She’s had three surgeries and they finally had to remove her bladder. These three surgeries were done in a 1 month period and she is now so weak that we have to teach her how to walk again. So why did it take so long for this medication to be recalled and why are we buying this crap from China?

24. Charlene Simon says:

Why are we not told when we purchase prescription drugs that they are generic from China?
    When will Health Canada be publishing a list of years, suppliers, doseage, and DIN numbers for the duration of the NDMA addition to our prescriptions?
    When will information and testing be available to patients who have used the contaminated products?
    This must be dealt with immediately to address the concerns raised.

25. Alan Briston says:

Do the ndma problems go back in time for or are they recently produced products only.

26. Doreen Beals says:

When was it discovered Valsarton DIN 02356759 contains carcinogenic particles? I have been taking this medication for a number of years. How great is the chance of having cancer? Why are we buying drugs from China? Are their health standards equivalent to Canadian standards? Will I be tested for any types of cancer due to having taken Valsarton for a number of years? Who will contact me with explanations addressing my concerns?

• Margaret Gain says:

Check further online. When I checked yesterday I found out that in the USA one Doctor said there was a problem with Valsartan 3 years ago. He wanted to public to be advised however it was decided the public didn’t need to know. Was this the same issue? Who knows but it did say that one had a 24 % increased chance of getting lung cancer. I too have been taking this medication for years. So how does that make one feel?

27. STANLEY KERSYS says:

WHY ARE WE BUYING DRUGS MADE IN CHINA, CAN ANYONE IN HEALTH CANADA EXPLAIN THIS TO CANADIANS

• Kd says:

because they get cheaper work done, the drug companies have to make big profit off you. Why do we buy ANYTHING from china? Because the government likes to keep their corporate friends happy. It’s not about you it’s about their rich friends. Doesn’t matter that it can kill you. When people realize the government isn’t there to serve you but collect taxes, pay their fat pensions and make sure the rich get richer then people will have woken up.