Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shakes hands with a Syrian refugee during Canada Day celebrations on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, July 1, 2016.

Photo Credit: Chris Wattie / Reuters

Bringing 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada cost $385M

The Liberal government’s initiative to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees from the Middle East to Canada cost the country’s taxpayers nearly $385 million, government statistics released today show.

The final estimate of the cost of relocation program shows that in 2015-2016, the federal government spent $384.7 million on the Syrian resettlement initiative, approximately $70.3 million less than planned.

Lower than expected costs for transportation and overseas processing, in addition to unused contingency funds and the fact that there was no need to activate interim lodging sites urgently prepared on Canadian Forces bases all contributed to the government coming under budget, officials said.

syrian-refugee-resettlement-cost

In addition, federal departments absorbed about $81 million in expenditures within their existing budgets.

Federal government statistics show that over the last year Canada has welcomed 34,696 Syrian refugees as of Nov 13, 2016.

The majority of these refugees, 18,156, were in the government-assisted category, which means the federal government paid full costs of their resettlement and integration in Canada.

Another 12,988 Syrian refugees came under the privately sponsored refugee category, where refugees are sponsored by relatives, friends or community members, who shoulder the cost of their relocation and resettlement in Canada.

And 3,552 Syrian refugees came under the blended visa program that combines elements of both government-assisted and privately sponsored programs.

Refugees-English

Categories: Immigration & Refugees
Tags: , ,

Do you want to report an error or a typo? Click here!

@*@ Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

characters available

Note: By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that Radio Canada International has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Radio Canada International does not endorse any of the views posted. Your comments will be pre-moderated and published if they meet netiquette guidelines.

Netiquette »

When you express your personal opinion in an online forum, you must be as courteous as if you were speaking with someone face-to-face. Insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. To disagree with an opinion, an idea or an event is one thing, but to show disrespect for other people is quite another. Great minds don’t always think alike—and that’s precisely what makes online dialogue so interesting and valuable.

Netiquette is the set of rules of conduct governing how you should behave when communicating via the Internet. Before you post a message to a blog or forum, it’s important to read and understand these rules. Otherwise, you may be banned from posting.

1. RCInet.ca’s online forums are not anonymous. Users must register, and give their full name and place of residence, which are displayed alongside each of their comments. RCInet.ca reserves the right not to publish comments if there is any doubt as to the identity of their author.
  2. Assuming the identity of another person with intent to mislead or cause harm is a serious infraction that may result in the offender being banned.
  3. RCInet.ca’s online forums are open to everyone, without regard to age, ethnic origin, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
  4. Comments that are defamatory, hateful, racist, xenophobic, sexist, or that disparage an ethnic origin, religious affiliation or age group will not be published.
  5. In online speak, writing in ALL CAPS is considered yelling, and may be interpreted as aggressive behaviour, which is unpleasant for the people reading. Any message containing one or more words in all caps (except for initialisms and acronyms) will be rejected, as will any message containing one or more words in bold, italic or underlined characters.
  6. Use of vulgar, obscene or objectionable language is prohibited. Forums are public places and your comments could offend some users. People who use inappropriate language will be banned.
  7. Mutual respect is essential among users. Insulting, threatening or harassing another user is prohibited. You can express your disagreement with an idea without attacking anyone.
  8. Exchanging arguments and opposing views is a key component of healthy debate, but it should not turn into a dialogue or private discussion between two users who address each other without regard for the other participants. Messages of this type will not be posted.
  9. Radio Canada International publishes contents in five languages. The language used in the forums has to be the same as the contents we publish. The usage of other languages, with the exception of some words, is forbidden. Messages that are off-topic will not be published.
  10. Making repetitive posts disrupts the flow of discussions and will not be tolerated.
  11. Adding images or any other type of file to comments is forbidden. Including hyperlinks to other websites is allowed, as long as they comply with netiquette. Radio Canada International  is in no way responsible for the content of such sites, however.
  12. Copying and pasting text written by someone else, even if you credit the author, is unacceptable if that text makes up the majority of your comment.
  13. Posting any type of advertising or call to action, in any form, to Radio Canada International  forums is prohibited.
  14. All comments and other types of content are moderated before publication. Radio Canada International  reserves the right to refuse any comment for publication.
  15. Radio Canada International  reserves the right to close a forum at any time, without notice.
  16. Radio Canada International  reserves the right to amend this code of conduct (netiquette) at any time, without notice.
  17. By participating in its online forums, you allow Radio Canada International to publish your comments on the web for an indefinite time. This also implies that these messages will be indexed by Internet search engines.
  18. Radio Canada International has no obligation to remove your messages from the web if one day you request it. We invite you to carefully consider your comments and the consequences of their posting.

19 comments on “Bringing 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada cost $385M
  1. Avatar xd says:

Oh, so this is why some of our tax money goes….

2. Avatar john Schellenberger says:

All I feel is being a 2 nd class citizen in my birth country, And being 66 retired and I only get $959.00 a month to live on. Where as refuges , get so much more . and even better housing, medical , transportation, Our P M is selling out our Country, and not paying attention to helping its own people, As a good example , 30 million to a convicted terrorist , the another 30 million to 3 others, as for my rights have been violated, the right to live a simple but decent life . Our P M has to go before he gives Canada away. And why should he take his family on Canadian Business to India,and who pays for this, ( tax payers ) . All I can say and Pray is for GOD save our country, I have to say for me to survive I have to go out at night to collect cans bottles just to keep my head above water.

• Avatar Someone says:

Those Syrian need the money more then we do. They had to abandon almost everything they own. Amagine coming to Canada with barely any money, what would you do? If you went back to Syria you would probably get killed, but Canada is safe. We have money in Canada and I think that we should spend some of it on people who need it. If they need it to get up onto their feet to have a nice life and forget about everything that has happened in their life.

3. Avatar icasi says:

We dont need refugees, mostly put a burden on our socio economic program, mostly are not fitted to integrate with the west system of life, majority wants canadians to be just like them and influence this stupid government to yield to their law and way of life and ignoring what canadian values are. Any refugee should be the one to adjust to the country they are seeking refuge not the other way aroundif not , they should stay where they are and keep the custom and tradition they have. I immigrate to Canada because I like the Canadian way of life, I adjust to Canada and Canada adjust to me.

4. Avatar Marshall says:

Trudeau and his globalist crony capitalist agenda are going to put Canada and Canadians at risk . . . Trudeau has to go!

5. The PM is running Canada into huge debt, plus placing the country at a huge security risk. He broadcasted to the whole world that entering Canada is a free ticket to success. The government is favoring other countries and providing everything free for them. They are aware of this which is making the problem even worse. The Canadian government is ignoring Canadian citizens in need. A lot of Canadians have had to leave the country because of jobs and I was one of them. In the 1980’s I remember there was an article in the local Canadian papers on “Brain Drain.” I applied to many jobs in Canada without success and I received absolutely no help when I reached out for assistance. To make matters worse I was attacked in an isolated region of Manitoba as I was so desperate for a job. I nearly lost my life. However, nobody cared. I have a bachelor’s degree. Even with a Master’s degree I was not able to get a job in Canada.
    I had an accident several years ago while visiting family in Canada. I was forced to pay all medical bills out of pocket even though I had health insurance from the country I am residing at. When I explained to the hospital the fact that I am a Canadian citizen and have a Canadian healthcare number I was told that I am no longer a Canadian resident. I was harassed by the Manitoba hospital to pay the bills and I wasn’t even give time to recover. However, when illegal refugees jump the border they receive free healthcare. In addition the illegal refugees want their way and want to follow their customs.
    I have not been proud to be a Canadian and Canada was not a land of opportunity for me.
    I hope whoever voted for Justin Trudeau is satisfied how he is ruining the country more. Canadians will be taxed even more to support these illegal immigrants.

6. Avatar Robert says:

Why not spend the $385 million back into Canadian families, give higher tax breaks for families with children, give Canadian insentive to have more children and bring up our number of Canadians from the 1.6 kids per family. Since that’s one of the government’s concerns!!!

7. Avatar Tim says:

Protect Canadians first. We’re starving too. Our people are starving and living on the street. Give us 384 millions a year. Kelvin oleary save us

8. Avatar dan says:

Trudeau,and Wynne are both a waste of energy and intelligence. They are costing the taxpayers a fortune, just for future votes, and to look good in the eyes of other countries.

9. Avatar floare says:

Who pays for asylum seekers? We have 100,000+ HOMELESS people and tens of thousands of single parents. Pay national debt first.

10. Avatar becareful of this company says:

Very sad that our country is have trouble on its own and our own PM is not paying attention to help his own country but instead making it harder for his own people to live better in their own country. I feel bad for what they Syrian people are going through but why do we have to be forgot and suffer s o they get a better life then those who have worked so hard to get a better life and not have it because our PM chose to have help another country rather then his own. Things are different now since his father was PM and his father open the door to immigration to help the Canadian country not let it go down. HELP US PM LISTEN TO US FIRST!! WE NEED HELP. Our economy is going down people can not get jobs and race and sexuality is an issue in Canada. HELP CANADA FIRST WE NEED IT !

11. Avatar DoubleD says:

Interesting, I thought the original cost estimate was $100M.

12. Avatar Academic says:

Feeling really bad thinking about the Syrian refugees. Especially the kids who are not aware of things happening in the outside world.

13. Avatar Ken Baker says:

Disgraceful!!! Canadian people are suffering in their own country. .food banks are seeing more family’s on their doorstep..

14. Avatar Dray Dixon says:

how about taking some of that money and look after our own people, Canadians that have word 30 to 55 years and only live on the poverty line, can’t afford dentist, prescriptions, food, high cost of hydro, heating, property taxes, repair bills to try and live in their homes if they are lucky enough to have one after all these expenses

15. Avatar Philippe Cauchi says:

It is only the beginning of waht the Syrian will cost us.