A planned Ford Motor Company investment in a Canadian plant in the city of Windsor which would have created 1000 jobs has fallen through, and will now be built in Mexico, according to a press release Friday (October 24) from the union representing auto workers, UNIFOR.
“We are disappointed,” said Jerry Dias Unifor National President. “The auto industries that are flourishing around the world are ones where there is a deep commitment from government and an understanding of the importance and wisdom of investment – which always pays dividends.”
Industry and government sources told the Globe and Mail newspaper the deal had been worth $2 billion dollars and had led to a recall of recall of several hundred more employees, in addition to the 1000 new jobs.
One source familiar with the discussions told the paper it was a “game changer” for the auto industry in the province of Ontario.
“While we are disappointed that this work will be lost to Mexico,” said Unifor president Dias in the Friday press release, “we remain optimistic that the tide is changing. Government, industry and labour are increasingly committed to finding ways of securing the strategic investments we need to rebuild our manufacturing base.”
“After weeks of discussions it was determined that the terms laid out in Ford’s proposal were not in the best interests of Canadian taxpayers,” said Jake Enwright, press secretary for Canada’s Industry Minister James Moore.
UNIFOR press release – Unifor disappointed by lost investment – here
Globe and Mail – Ford scraps potential $2-billion investment in Windsor, Ont. – here
CBC News – Ford picks Mexico over Windsor for engine plant, union says – here