As Turkey continues to arrest thousands of people, close hundreds of schools and fire tens of thousands of civil servants in the wake of last Friday’s failed coup, Canada is expressing sharp concerns about the crackdown.
Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion said Wednesday Canada is “especially concerned” about reports that Turkey might bring back the death penalty, abolished in 2004 as a step toward joining the European Union.
Dion’s comments followed Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s announcement of a three-month “state of emergency” in response to the failed coup.
Dion said Canada “supports a democratic Turkey and respects the need for thorough investigations and prosecutions” against those involved in the failed coup.
“But,” he added, “this must be done according to Turkish and international law.”
Dion also said Canada is troubled by reports of the firings and detentions of tens of thousands of people.
Turkish state media reported Thursday that a further 32 judges and two military officers had been detained by authorities during the crackdown.
On Thursday Turkish and foreign media reported 10,000 arrests, including members of the judiciary, public servants, teachers, academics, members of civil society and the media.
Nearly 60,000 civil service employees have been dismissed since the weekend.
The government alleges the coup conspirators were loyal to U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Erdogan has often accused of trying to overthrow his government.
With files from AP, CP, CBC.